Inventory Unit Detail
2015 Kawasaki KX™ 85
Every budding motocross star reaches a crossroads in their career, when choosing the right motorcycle can mean the difference between success or failure. With more amateur national championship titles than any other brand, the pedigree of the Kawasaki KX™85 already outshines the competition and the 2015 KX85 continues to do so. In fact, the one thing that hasn’t changed is that the KX85 is still the ultimate training tool for the Ryan Villopotos of tomorrow. Box-stock, it’s ready to win championships!
At A Glance…
• Liquid-cooled, two-stroke, 85cc engine
• Kawasaki Integrated Power-valve increases more mid-range torque and top-end power
• Jetting in the 28mm Keihin PWK carburetor helps give ideal fuel atomization, for quicker throttle response and a smoother power delivery
• Six-speed transmission has chrome-finished shift fork ends to resist wear and seizing while bushings on the second, third and fourth gears on the output shaft increase durability
• Petal-shape brake rotors clear mud and dirt quick, look like factory racers
• Uni-Trak® rear suspension is fully adjustable for compression and rebound damping and spring preload
• Rigid 36mm inverted cartridge forks are 20-way compression damping adjustable and provide better steering response and control
• Adjustable bars for greater comfort for a variety of riders
• Industry-leading amateur racer support through Team Green™
Liquid-cooled, Two-stroke, Single-cylinder 85cc Engine
• Cylinder head combustion shape increases power at all rpm
• Cylinder head gasket and gasket retention dowel prevents detonation, increasing reliability
• Piston has single-ring design (was two rings) reduces friction
• Lightweight Nikasil-coated cylinder features exhaust port shape for better flow, more power
• Large outer diameter crankshaft is 83mm, increasing rigidity and improving durability
• Precisely shaped resin block added to crankshaft closes the gap around the machined area near the crank pin, reducing volume of the bottom-end to increase intake transfer for more power
• Intake and exhaust port bridges are machine-finished for reduced wear and improved reliability
• Rotor comes with rare-earth magnets; it is small, light and more efficient; low moment of inertia improves low-RPM response
• Connecting rod big-end bearing has rigid cage for improved durability
• Intake port shape and cylinder skirt allow cooling air into the crankcase chamber
• Primary gear is secured using a lock-nut to help reduce mechanical noise
• Metafoam gaskets for the generator and water pump covers improve sealing
Kawasaki Integrated Power Valve System (KIPS®)
• KIPS system varies exhaust-port height for increased horsepower and torque at all rpm
• Independent valves increase reliability and reducing maintenance
• Produces a broad powerband with more mid-range torque and excellent top-end power
• Breather in KIPS cover improves high-rpm and overrun performance
• Radiator cooling capacity sustains engine power during long motos
• Large right-side cutout improves airflow for increased power
• Reusable foam air filter
28mm Keihin PWK Carburetor
• Jetting optimizes performance with new engine tuning specs
• Large crescent slide positions the needle closer to intake ports for ideal fuel atomization, providing quicker throttle response and a smoother power delivery
• Carburetor adjustable for various conditions
• Features large-diameter O-ring and groove on exhaust pipe for improved durability and easy installation
• Aluminum silencer is re-packable like larger KX models
• Thick-base clutch hub rides on needle bearings for smooth action
• Large 91mm clutch plates offer excellent durability and precise engagement
• Clutch-release ratio is designed for light clutch lever action
• Clutch plate service cover simplifies maintenance and utilizes a metal-carbon composite gasket
• Positive shifting action and rugged durability
• Fifth and sixth gears ride on bushings for added reliability
• Shift forks are hard chrome-finished to resist wear and seizing
• Convenient oil-level window offers easy level checks
• Bushings on the second, third and fourth gears increase durability
High-tensile Steel Perimeter Frame
• High-tensile steel tubing has reinforcement in key areas to optimize durability and weight
• Perimeter design accommodates optimal intake/exhaust design
• Wide, steel footpegs offer added control and strength.
• Thick footpeg-mount brackets withstand today’s rigorous tracks
• Engine and chassis bolts feature rust-resistant coating
Uni-Trak® Rear Suspension
• KYB reservoir shock features black-anodized aluminum body
• Clicker-type compression damping adjuster allows for more precise damping adjustments
• Swingarm uses large cross-section beams for improved rigidity and control
• Cast-aluminum drive chain adjuster sections allow easy chain adjustments
• Shock is fully adjustable with 24-position compression and 21-position rebound damping, plus stepless spring preload
36mm Inverted Cartridge Fork
• Shim-type valving provides precise damping control
• Firm damping rates offer superior bottoming resistance
• Inverted fork is rigid, providing better steering response and control
• Compression damping is 20-way adjustable
• Aluminum upper fork tubes measure 36mm in diameter for flex-free performance
• Revised axle clamp reduces under-hang for greater fork clearance in ruts
• Petal-type brake rotors (220mm front/184mm rear) increase stopping power
• Petal-type rotor design helps clean the brake pads for more consistent performance
• Front brake hose routing helps protect brake line; front guides are just like the big KXs
• Direct upward line routing simplifies brake bleeding and maintenance
• Front brake lever shape offers optimum feel
• Forged-aluminum rear brake pedal is strong, lightweight and features two seals at the pivot for smooth operation and increased durability
• Provide strong braking power with minimal effort
• Black alumite-coated lightweight aluminum rims offer a factory look
• Rear hub features two bearings on the drive side for added durability
• Large rear-axle diameter for optimum rigidity
• Dunlop® Geomax MX51 tires provide optimal grip for a wide range of riding conditions
• Slim radiator shrouds and side panels improve rider ergonomics
• Flat seat with seamless seat cover and gripper material improve comfort and make weight shifts easier
• 32.7" seat height is ideal for growing riders
• Wide handlebars offer both leverage and comfort
• Three-position handlebar risers offer STD, +5mm higher and +10mm higher bar positioning
• Two-position handlebar clamps offer six different location positions to suit a range of riders
• Swingarm surface finish matches big KXs and is easier to clean
• Angular front fender, angular rear fender and number plate design match big KX-styling
• Wraparound fork guards with embossed Kawasaki logo protect inner fork tubes and enhance styling
• Grey clutch and ignition covers resist the signs of boot rub to help keep the KX looking fresh
• Factory Lime Green “flow line” graphics and green alumite coatings on the suspension adjusters to reflect the reigning champion’s motorcycle
- Engine: Two-stroke single with KIPS®
- Displacement: 85cc
- Bore x Stroke: 48.5 x 45.8mm
- Cooling: Liquid
- Carburetion: Keihin PWK28
- Induction: Crankcase reed valve
- Compression ratio: 10.9:1 (low speed) – 9.0:1 (high speed)
- Ignition: Digital CDI
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final drive: Chain
- Frame: High-tensile steel perimeter design with subframe member
- Rake / trail: 29 deg. / 3.8 in.
- Front suspension / wheel travel: 36mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 20-way compression damping / 10.8 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: UNI-TRAK® single-shock system with 24-way compression and 21-way rebound damping, plus adjustable spring preload / 10.8 in.
- Front tire: 70/100x17
- Rear tire: 90/100x14
- Front brake / rear brake: Hydraulic disc / disc
- Overall length: 72 in.
- Overall width: 30.1 in.
- Overall height: 43.3 in.
- Ground clearance: 11.4 in.
- Seat height: 32.7 in.
- Curb weight: 165.3 lb.
- Fuel capacity: 1.32 gal.
- Wheelbase: 49.8 in.
- Color: Lime Green
- Engine Type
- Two-stroke single with KIPS®
- Bore and Stroke
- 48.5 x 45.8mm
- Compression Ratio
- 10.9:1 (low speed) – 9.0:1 (high speed)
- Fuel System
- Keihin PWK28
- Digital CDI
- Front Suspension
- 36mm inverted telescopic cartridge fork with 20-way compression damping
- Front Brakes
- Hydraulic disc
- Front Tire
- Rear Suspension
- UNI-TRAK® single-shock system with 24-way compression and 21-way rebound damping, plus adjustable spring preload
- Rear Brakes
- Rear Tire
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 165.3 lb.
- Fuel Capacity
- 1.32 gal.
- 49.8 in.
- Ground Clearance
- 11.4 in.
- Seat Height
- 32.7 in.
- 3.8 in.
- 29 deg.
- Final Drive
- Lime Green